Shrimp Fried Rice
“Need it Now” method
- 1 cup rice Uncooked – Jasmine or long-grain white rice
- 2 cups rice "Day Old" – Jasmine or long-grain rice – cooked and cold
- 8 ounces large shrimp 26 to 30 per pound, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce sambal oelek
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry sherry optional
- 1 ½ teaspoons ketchup
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil divided
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 scallions white and green parts separated and sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup frozen peas
Need it Now Method
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil in large saucepan over high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through and tender, about 12 minutes. Drain rice in fine-mesh strainer or colander.
- Use 2 cup of cold rice
- Cut shrimp into ½-inch pieces. Combine 1 teaspoon soy sauce, sugar, and shrimp in a bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine oyster sauce; hot sauce; sherry, if using; ketchup; salt; pepper; and remaining 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Transfer to clean bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add eggs and stir with rubber spatula until set but still wet, about 15 seconds. Push eggs to 1 side of skillet. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, scallion whites, and garlic to empty side of skillet and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add rice and stir to break up clumps and any large egg curds. Cook until rice begins to sizzle and pop loudly, about 3 minutes. Stir in oyster sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in peas, shrimp, and scallion greens and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve.