- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 12 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces andouille sausage halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 celery rib chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped fine
- 1 ½ cups long-grain rice
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups leftover South Carolina Shrimp Boil broth
- BROWN MEAT Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Cook sausage in 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to plate. Cook chicken in sausage fat until brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate with sausage.
- SAUTÉ AROMATICS Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and remaining oil to empty pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice, garlic, and thyme and cook until rice turns translucent, about 2 minutes. Add broth and browned sausage, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to boil. Nestle chicken, browned-side up, to rice. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- FINISH JAMBALAYA Transfer chicken to cutting board and tent with foil. Stir rice and continue to cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces and stir into rice. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.