Sauerbraten with Ginger Gravy
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 1 to 1 pounds total beef cubed steaks
- 1 onion small – finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 12-ounce jar brown gravy
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup coarsely crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the cubed steaks, onion, salt, and pepper and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the steaks are browned on both sides.
- Stir in the gravy, vinegar, water, cookie crumbs, and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the steak is tender.
- Stir in the sour cream and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended and heated through. Serve immediately.