Chicken Chow Mein for Two
- 4 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 6- to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 small carrot sliced thin on bias
- 1 celery rib sliced thin on bias
- 3 scallions green and white parts separated and sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 ounces 1 cup bean sprouts
- Bring 3 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Add noodles and cook until tender. Drain noodles in colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Toss noodles and 1 tablespoon oil together in bowl; set aside.
- Whisk water, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and pepper together in separate bowl; set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and mushrooms begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Off heat, add bean sprouts, noodles, and sauce mixture and toss to combine. Serve, sprinkled with scallion greens.