Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 9-ounce package fresh Chinese noodles
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 2 celery ribs cut on bias into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 scallions white and green parts separated and sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 ounces 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Drain noodles, rinse thoroughly with cold water, then drain again. Toss noodles with sesame oil in bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, dissolve baking soda in 1/2 cup cold water in second bowl. Add chicken and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Drain chicken, rinse under cold water, then drain again. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Combine 1 tablespoon rice wine, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, and chicken in bowl; set aside.
- Whisk broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons rice wine, and remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch together in bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until opaque, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add celery and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Add scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk broth mixture to recombine, then add to skillet and cook until thickened and chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add bean sprouts and noodles and toss until sauce evenly coats noodles, about 1 minute. Transfer to platter and sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve.