- 1 12" Skillet
- 1 lbs chicken breast 6- to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon large or Minutmaid Frozen Lemon Juice
- ½ – 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot small, minced
- ½ tsp garlic minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tbsp capers with juice
- 1 ½ tsp fresh parsley minced
- Put each chicken breast in a gallon ZipLock bag and pound until between 1/2in and 1/3 inches.
- Remove from bag and sprinkle with 1 tsp kosher salt and place in fridge to allow salt to absorb. About 10 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and dredge in flour. I use a large ZipLock with flour and put all the breasts in and shake. Remove and place on wire rack in rimmed baking sheet.
- Halve lemon lengthwise. Trim ends from 1 half, halve lengthwise again, then slice crosswise ¼ inch thick; set aside. Juice remaining half and set aside 1½ tablespoons juice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking.
- Place cutlets in skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook until golden brown on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on second side, 2 to 3 minutes. Return cutlets to wire rack. (They don’t need to be cooked all the way through as they will finish in the sauce.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons of flour to skillet and cook flour. You are making a roux.
- Add shallot to skillet and cook until softened, 30 seconds.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add broth, reserved lemon juice, and reserved lemon slices, capers and their juice and bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Add more chicken broth if too thick.
- Add cutlets to sauce and simmer for 4 minutes, flipping halfway through simmering. Transfer cutlets to platter.
- Sauce should be thickened to consistency of heavy cream; if not, simmer 1 minute longer.
- Off heat, whisk in butter. Stir in parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.