Instant Pot Red Wine–Braised Beef Stew
- 1 Pressure Cooker or Multicooker
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms trimmed and halved if small or quartered if large
- 1½ teaspoons pepper divided
- 1¼ teaspoons table salt divided
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck-eye roast trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 3 anchovy fillets minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces salt pork rind removed, cut into ¼-inch pieces. You can substitute thick-cut bacon.
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Using highest sauté function, heat 2 tablespoons oil in Instant Pot until shimmering. Add mushrooms, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and liquid has nearly evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to bowl.
- Pat beef dry with paper towels and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Add 1 tablespoon oil to oil left in pot and heat using highest sauté function until just smoking. Brown half of beef on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer browned and unbrowned beef to second bowl.
- Add onions, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining ½ teaspoon pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to fat left in pot and cook until onions are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, and anchovies and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in beef and any accumulated juices, salt pork, carrots, and bay leaves.
- Lock lid into place and close pressure-release valve. Select high pressure-cook function and cook for 30 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot and quick-release pressure. Carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Using large spoon, skim excess fat from surface of stew and remove bay leaves. Stir in mushrooms and bring to simmer using highest sauté function. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is slightly thickened and mushrooms are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot and let rest for about 10 minutes (liquid will thicken slightly as it cools). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle individual portions with parsley before serving.