Brian’s East/West Cornish Hens
- 4 hens
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon – cut into quarters
- Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Salt
- Ground Ginger
- 4 servings Wild Rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Sesame oil
- 1-2 packages frozen oriental veggies or any veggies of choice
- 2 eggs
- Rinse hens inside and out. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Salt and pepper cavity place Rosemary sprig and 1/4 lemon wedge into cavity.
- Dust outside with Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Salt and ground Ginger.
- Place in/on roasting pan. Place grill thermometer into the breast of one of the middle birds.Start grill/smoker. Get heat up to 500°F and smoke billowing from grill. Place pan in center of the grill. Turn off the center burner. Grill should now be set for LOL. Temperature should come down to 350°F – 325°F.Cook until the breast temp is 160°F – 165°FThe goal here is to get the flavor into the bird quickly then slow the cooking process down to tenderize the bird and have the meat fall off the bone.
- While the birds are cooking, place 4 servings of wild rice into rice cooker.
- Fill to liquid level 4 with chicken broth. Add 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger. Close and cook.
- Wok vegetables on the grill side burner adding soy sauce, ground ginger and sesame oil. Stir-fry in normal fashion. (Vegetables can be squash, mixed veggies, carrots, or any hearty spring veggie)When the rice is ready, take two scrabbled eggs and pour over steaming rice in the rice cooker.Mix with two chopsticks to break up the egg evenly distribute so the steaming rice can cook the egg. Close the rice cooker.
- Make sure table is set, drinks are poured and people are sitting drooling.
- Next take a large platter and place the rice in the center top with the hens and ring it with the vegetables.
- Serve the rice and hen with one scoop of the serving utensils and then the vegetables next to the hen-toped-rice on the dinner plate.
- Garnish with the lemon and rosemary previously removed from the hen cavities prior to platting.