Brian’s English Toffee
- 1 ½ cups butter unsalted
- 2 tbsp corn syrup Helps the sugar from crystalizing when cooking
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 23 oz chocolate I use Milk Chocolate Chips melted in the microwave
- 1 cup pecans chopped, crushed, slivered, or made into "dust"
- 1 cup almonds toasted then crushed, chopped, slivered, of made to "dust" in food processor
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, or until you see the steam condense and run down the sides of the saucepan for a couple of minutes. This helps to prevent the sugar from recrystallizing .
- Uncover and cook to the hard-crack stage (300°F) stirring with a wooden/bamboo spoon periodically and watching carefully. Plastic and silicone spoons don't play well here, they melt.
- Immediately pour into ungreased 13"x9" pan. (I use a 24' x 30' silicone mat and let gravity spread it out.)
- Cool until hard.
- Melt chocolate over hot, but not boiling water. (or in the microwave in 15-second bursts, stirring in between)
- Spread over toffee; sprinkle with nuts, pressing them into chocolate.
- Let stand 2-3 hours or chill 30 minutes.
- Break into bite-size pieces.