- 4 slices raw bacon cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper* or celery
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- 1 can can corn kernels 16oz drained, about 2 cups
- 1 can can cream-style corn 6oz
- 2¼ cups milk
- ½ to ¾ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a soup pot, cook the bacon 5 to 7 minutes, until crisp.
- Spoon off and discard all but about 1 tablespoon fat.
- Stir in the onion, bell pepper, bay leaf, thyme, and celery salt.
- Cook, stirring, 8 to 10 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the corn and milk. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf.