Old-Fashioned German Stuffing
- 1 1-pound rye bread with seeds, stale or lightly toasted, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth warmed
- 1 pound fresh sauerkraut rinsed and drained
- 5 slices crispy cooked bacon crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add celery, carrot, and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add apple, salt, and pepper and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes. Add broth, sauerkraut, and bacon, and mix gently until well combined. Spoon stuffing into baking dish.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.