German Potato Pancakes (Kartoffelpuffer)
- 1 ¼ lb potatoes 570g peeled weight
- ½ onion large
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour plain flour
- 1 egg
- a few grinds of salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil or sunflower or more as needed for shallow frying
- Finely grate the potatoes and onion into a strainer over a bowl and gently squeeze out the excess liquid as you go so that it drains into the bowl. Once you have finished, pour out the majority of the liquid from the bowl leaving just the thick white potato starch at the bottom.
- Add the egg to the potato starch and lightly whisk, then add the potato, onion, flour, a few grindings of salt and pepper and the nutmeg, if using. Mix well. (Note if you already lightly beat the egg you can just add it in with everything else.)
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet/frying pan over a medium-high heat and add heaped spoonfuls of the mixture to the pan. Press down the spoonfuls with the back of a spatula/fish slice or spoon to make them relatively tightly held together and flat.
- Cook the pancakes for a few minutes each side until golden brown, adding more oil to the skillet/pan as needed to keep a thin layer. Once browned and crisp on both sides, remove and drain on kitchen paper before serving.
- If you are cooking all at once and not serving as you go, then cover while draining on paper and quickly re-heat in the pan once all are cooked and you are about to serve.