Colcannon (Irish Potatoes and Cabbage)
- 12 oz potatoes 340g
- 4 oz cabbage 115g
- ½ leek
- 2 tbsp butter 25g or more as needed
- ¼ cup milk 60ml or more as needed
- Peel and dice the potatoes then set to boil in a pot of boiling water, lightly salted. Simmer until tender to a knifepoint then drain.
- Meanwhile, shred the cabbage and slice the leek in half rings. Warm half of the butter in a small skillet over a medium heat then add the leek. Cook a minute then add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until it wilts.
- Add the remaining butter, milk and some salt and pepper to the potatoes and mash. Add some more milk and butter as needed if your potatoes are still a bit dry or if you want them creamier.
- Mix the mashed potatoes in with the cabbage, mix through and serve.