Grandma Reedy’s Spinach
- 2 packages frozen chopped spinach 10 ounces each
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 6 bacon strips cut into 1in pieces
- 2 oz Nabisco Premium Saltines crushed
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, render the bacon until very crispy.
- Remove the pan from heat and remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon or spider and set aside.
- Drain bacon grease into measuring cup and set aside.
- Put the now empty pan back on medium heat and add 2 tbsp of bacon grease.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the bacon grease until tender.
- Add the frozen spinach to the saucepan and cook covered until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked bacon back into the pan and stir to mix.
- Add the crushed (almost to a powder) saltines to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to low simmer and cook covered for 3-5 minutes to allow the crackers to absorb the liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir thoroughly evenly distributing the crushed crackers into what looks like cream.