German Potato Pancakes
- 4 baking potatoes about 1-1/2 pounds
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and put them and the onion in a strainer. Press down with the back of a large spoon to extract excess moisture. (If they’re still watery, wrap them in a clean dish towel and squeeze to extract moisture.)
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, and egg; mix well. Gradually add flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1/4 inch oil. Using about 1/3 cup of batter per pancake, add batter to the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden; turn and fry an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Add more oil as needed until all batter is used. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.