Black Forest Cake
- 1 16.5-ounce package devil’s food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling, drained, with 1/2 cup sauce reserved
- 1 cup 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 3 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 1 16-ounce container chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and reserved cherry sauce; mix well. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; beat in confectioners’ sugar. Place a cooled cake layer upside down on a serving platter and cover top with half of the whipped cream; spoon cherries over whipped cream.
- Place second cake layer over first and frost sides with chocolate frosting. Frost top with remaining whipped cream. Serve, or cover loosely and chill until ready to serve.
- Finishing Touch
- For that elegant finishing touch, top the cake with chocolate curls and additional cherries or chocolate-covered cherries.
- Plus, don’t forget to check out other German dessert favorites like The Ultimate German Chocolate Cake!
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our free eBook, Classic Cakes: 24 Easy Cake Recipes to Enjoy Year-Round!