Cherry Kuchen Bars
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly beat flour mixture into butter mixture until well combined. Reserve 1-1/2 cups of dough; set aside. Spread remaining dough in a 15- x 10- x 1-inch baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and spread pie filling over crust. Spoon reserved dough in small mounds on top of pie filling.
- Continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is lightly golden. Let cool, then cut into squares.