Galktoboureko – Greek Custard Dessert
- 1 cup fine semolina i.e. Cream of Wheat1 1/2 cups sugar 5 eggs6 cups milk 1 vanilla beanzest of 1 lemon16 sheets of phyllo1/2 cup melted butter ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- * Syrup *¾ cup honey Greek Thyme honey or Orange Blossom honey, preferably1 cup water 1/2 cup sugar juice of 1/2 lemon1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, semolina, milk, and scrape 1 vanilla bean Stir continuously over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add grated zest and eggs ( lightly beaten) while stirring.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Don’t start buttering your phyllo sheets, until you finish the adding the eggs to your cream or it will dry out.
- Melt butter and brush phyllo leaves.
- Arrange about eight leaves on bottom of rectangular pan.(9″ x 13“)
- Pour in cooled custard.
- Butter another eight leaves and arrange them one over the other.
- Make several cuts with a knife to allow steam to escape.Bake in middle of oven at 375˚ F for about 35 minutes or until golden and custard has puffed.
- Meanwhile, mix all syrup ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil and simmer gently until slightly thickened and reduced by about 1/4 .
- Cool .
- Pour cooled syrup over hot custard. Adjust the quantity of syrup to your liking .Sprinkle with cinnamon.