Egg Custard – Pressure Cooker
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 2 cups whole milk or 1 cup skim (fat free) and 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla – extract
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg – ground
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, Scald milk in microwave for 3 minutes – Hint: you will see little bubbles form around the edges.
- In a 4 cup measuring cup, mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly temper the egg mixture by SLOWLY pouring in the hot milk while constantly stirring.
- Pour the mixture into four (4) ramekins. (might have enough for five (5) ramekins).
- Cover each ramekin with a disk of aluminum foil and seal snuggly.
- In a pressure cooker, place a wire rack in the bottom and fill with about 1/2″ to 1″ of water.
- Put the ramekins in the pressure cooker. You can balance the 4th ramekin on top of three if your pressure cooker is not big enough to hold all four at the same level. If you have a fifth (5th) ramekin, cook in the same fashion after cooking the first four.
- Cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- Quickly release the steam, open the cooker and remove the ramekins.
- Let cool for 15 minutes then cool completely in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.