Béchamel – White Sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter* over low heat, until foamy.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour until a thin paste forms. This is called a “roux.”
- Whisk in the milk until smooth.
- Stirring occasionally, cook 10 to 12 minutes, until simmering, thick, and smooth.
- Simmer 2 minutes to “cook out” the flour taste.
- Season with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.